Taking Connie undercover
For the not so astute you would have realised that I had covered
the fuselage somewhat ahead of even getting near the wing construction.
This was due to the time pressures at the time, and then slowed down
dramatically as I realised I was never ever going to make last years comp.
So here’s a basic recap of the fuselage and tail covering
First the tail was covered in white. I find that orocover etc work best when
you apply say 300 heat to get the basic bind and then shoot up to 400 heat
to get all the wrinkles out, and believe me, with enough patience you can.
Best to apply, get some wrinkles out, go have a cup of tea and let the shrink
cool down, and then have another go, and you will be pleasantly surprised
at how the wrinkles clear out of dodge.
Something to do with the hot/cold thing that allows the shrink
to stretch better and better every time you do the hot/cold thing.
This amounted to a 12 hour stretch for the fuselage alone –
from 5 in the morning till 5 in the evening. Basically barrel wrapped
in 5 separate pieces from tail to just behind the cockpit.
The trick is to try and get the joins even, which I failed miserably at
as the fuselage just never has a consistent shape to it. Ever.
So in the end I settled for the best I could get
The nose cone was fun – cockpit done as a separate piece,
and tail area of fuselage done as a smaller separate piece.
Adding the little fiddly bits based on images of the actual aircraft
In a later post i will show a differing finish (read redo) as I have found
a nice way to get windows to look like, well, windows.
Trial fitting the horizontal stabs to check overall line-up of the fuse and tail
Trial fitting the wing and tail to the fuselage, sprayed the nose
and added windows with black vinyl. Underpart of the fuselage sprayed at this point as well
Seems best to spray Tamiya primer as a key coat and then go with whatever colour works best.
I found the grey of the orocover to be too light and so went with a spray –
normal old fashioned hardware shop spray paint and the two seem to work well together.
Also found that normal insulation tape – cut to a thin strip works very well for getting
around corners and shapes when masking off an area. Not too sticky – not too loose.
I like to work with contrasting tape to paint colour so I can see the spray area better
then a thicker strip for bind and finally whatever cover you want too use for the rest of the area
Once the paint is dry the insulation tape comes off like a dream.
All looks pretty straight at this point
yup and from the arse end too.
Just out of interest, the Connie’s wing on
the actual airliner was based on the P38 Lightning wing as they both
came from the same Lockheed stable and the P38 showed of extraordinary gliding
capabilities during wartime, so there seems to have been a natural evolution
with the wing platform carried to the airliner business.