TWO OCEAN SLOPE SOARERS CONSTITUTION – V1.3
The name of the club shall be the TWO OCEAN SLOPE SOARERS, hereafter referred to as TOSS.
To promote the flying, construction and knowledge of Radio Control Flying including but not limited to:
- Availability of flying areas.
- Public awareness of r/c flying.
- All persons shall be eligible to membership of TOSS.
- “Social membership” may be accommodated.
- “Social members” will under no circumstances be allowed to fly any Radio Controlled models.
- Other than flying, “social members” will enjoy the same privileges and rights and will be subject to the same rules as “full members”.
- The Committee may refuse any application for membership without assigning any reason therefore, whereupon all accompanying fees shall be refunded. Save for this section, no other refunds to members or their estates will be contemplated.
- It shall be the individuals responsibility, while enrolled as a member of TOSS, to obtain and maintain membership status of the South African Model Aircraft Association, hereafter referred to as SAMMA, to ensure public liability insurance cover.
- Any member may be immediately and without notice suspended from membership of TOSS for violating any rule or regulation promulgated by TOSS or SAMMA. Said member shall be reinstated only upon request by said former member and provided that the Committee of TOSS find that such reinstatement is in the best interest of TOSS.
- Any member in arrears of dues for two (2) consecutive months shall be notified and after three( 3) months of non-payment of dues, said member/s membership of TOSS shall be suspended.
- Any former member may be reinstated into TOSS by payment of one (1) years current dues. The joining fees do not need to be paid again.
All flying site rules and regulation, as listed under the Safety Rules, will be reviewed annually, and will be considered binding for twelve(12) months, excepting where urgent action is required. The Committee at the next meeting or emergency meeting must ratify this action. The Safety Rules of TOSS are considered as supplementary code to those laid down by SAMMA, compliance with which is mandatory for members of TOSS. Each member is mandated to ensure that fellow members comply with these rules, in particular those concerning the continued use of flying sites located in a nature reserve.
5 LEGAL CAPACITY AND LIABILITY
All assets, funds or property of TOSS shall be applied solely towards the promotion of its objectives and no portion there of shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly to any member or members, provided that this shall not be construed as prohibiting bona-fide remuneration to any person or member of TOSS for services rendered and/or reasonable costs incurred in the pursuit of the objectives of TOSS.
TOSS shall have the power to sue or be sued in its own name and to institute or defend legal proceedings, all matters be dealt with by the Chairman and Committee, who shall have the power to represent TOSS in all such proceedings. All processes of Law, Notices and the like shall be regarded as sufficiently served on TOSS if served upon the Chairman or Committee. (Address: P.O. Box 37752, Valyland, Cape Town, 7978)
The liability of members shall be limited to the amount of any unpaid membership fee due by such member/s of TOSS. Beyond this no member shall be personally liable for any debts or legal liability of TOSS.
- The Committee shall consist of three (3) paid up members of TOSS.
- The Committee as a minimum shall consist of the following: Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, ideally positions of Vice Chairman and Media Relations should be appointed as well.
- The management and control of TOSS and its property, assets and affairs shall be vested in the Committee for the time being, who shall exercise all the rights and powers of TOSS.
- The Chairman, or in his absence, the Vice Chairman or Secretary shall preside at all meetings of TOSS and shall act as a spokesman for TOSS in all matters pertaining to it.
- The Secretary shall handle all correspondence pertaining to TOSS business and take minutes at all TOSS Committee meetings and Yearly AGM.
iii. The Treasure shall collect and keep a record of all monies due, received and disbursed. He shall be responsible for preparing a budget and controlling funds against the budget and preparing the annual financial statement.
- The Media Relations person shall be responsible for the promotion of all club activities through the clubs social media and communication channels. In the absence of an appointed Media Relations person, the responsibility for the promotion of all club activities through the clubs social media and communication channels shall be shared amongst the committee.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for checking that all members, except “social members”, are current SAMAA members.
- Additional Committee members will be charged with additional duties as decided by the Committee to help TOSS achieve its goals.
vii. The Chairman shall assume the role of Club Safety Officer as per SAMAA requirements.
viii. The administration of the clubs website shall be delegated to any committee member that has sufficient knowledge to make required changes.
- Terms of Office
- All Committee members of TOSS shall serve for one (1) year from date of election.
- The election of the Committee members shall be held annually at the AGM. Election being decided by the majority vote. Nominations shall be made by the members attending the meeting and nominees have the opportunity to accept or decline their nomination.
iii. Candidates for the Chairman’s position must have served on the TOSS committee for a period of at least 1 year in the past in order to qualify for the position.
- Vacancy in any office except Chairman shall be filled by appointment by the Committee, such appointee to serve until the end of term for which his predecessor was elected. Vacancy in the office of Chairman will be filled jointly by the remaining Committee members. Nominations will be called for by the Committee and a new Chairman elected by the way of a special general meeting to be held within ten (10) days of the current Chairman vacating his office.
- The Committee shall hold committee meetings during the last weekend of each month or as deemed necessary.
- It shall require no less than three Committee members including the Chairman or in his absence the Vice Chairman to form a quorum.
iii. A special general meeting may be called by the written application of at least one third of paid up members. Such application to be handed to the Secretary at least one (1) month prior to the date of such meeting, and notice of such special general meeting shall be given to all members at least twenty one (21) days prior to the date of meeting.
7 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- The Annual General Meeting of TOSS shall be held during March of each year.
- Notice of such meeting together with the agenda shall be given to members at least thirty (30) days prior to such meeting in writing by the Secretary.
- The Chairman of TOSS shall be the Chairman of the AGM and in his absence; the Vice Chairman shall act instead.
- An AGM shall require at least 30% of paid up members, including proxy votes of members not present, and at least three(3) Committee members including the acting Chairman or in his absence the Vice Chairman and the Treasurer.
- Every paid up member shall be entitled to vote at the AGM.
- A maximum of two proxies may be awarded to any individual paid up member for purposes of voting at an AGM or special general meeting.
- All matters except the Constitution to be voted on shall be decided by a simple majority vote.
- Votes shall be by a show of hands or otherwise as prescribed by the Chairman.
- The Chairman shall have a casting vote as well as his deliberation vote.
8 CHANGES TO THE CONSTITUTION
- All proposals for changes to the Constitution must be in writing and received by the Secretary at least six (6) weeks prior to the AGM so that proposals can be included into the agenda as required in section seven(7).
- A two thirds (2/3) majority of members present, including proxy votes of members not present, shall be required to decide any changes to the Constitution.
9 MEMBERSHIP FEES
- The annual membership fees for TOSS shall be payable by the 1st April.
- For new members there shall be a joining fee as well as an annual fee.
- Membership fees shall be decided by the acting Committee.
- The fee amount shall be provided to the members as part of the agenda for the AGM.
- New members who join during March shall be considered paid members for the following financial year.
- Full membership fees will be payable by new members until the 31st August thereafter it will be paid pro-rata with fees being reduced by 15% of the annual fee till the end of February.
- No special assessment shall be levied upon TOSS members except by majority vote of those members present at an official meeting, provided however, that prior notice of such a meeting must be communicated to all members thirty (30) days preceding such a meeting.
10 SPECIAL FUNDS
- The Treasurer is authorised to receive contributions or specially obtained funds from any individual or institution to be applied to achieving the objectives of TOSS.
- No expenditure may be made on TOSS behalf unless written approval is received by the Committee and funds are obtained from the Treasure.
11 SUB COMMITTEES
- Additional special committees as required to help TOSS achieve its objectives, may be established on a temporary basis by the acting Committee.
12 Interpretation of the Rules
- In the event of any dispute over the interpretation of any of these rules, the decision of the Committee shall be final and binding upon all members.